Here are the guidelines used by Psychologists and Pediatricians:
- Ages 4-12 months: 12-16 hours (including naps)
- Ages 1-2 years: 11-14 hours (including naps)
- Ages 3-5 years: 10-13 hours (including naps)
- Age 6-12 years: 9-12 hours
- Age 13-18 years: 8-10 hours
(Source: The American Academy of Pediatrics, 2016)
I also recommend putting toddlers to sleep between 6 pm and 8 pm and having all children under age 5 nap at around 1 pm to help have a consistent daily schedule to prevent tantrums and behavioral difficulties.